Saturday, January 5, 2013

Freebie Math Center

So here is a math center I made for my 1st graders.  I have a balance that sits on my bookshelf collecting dust.  The Saxon activities were boring to say the least.  Who cares how many pennies something weighs...it's not as exciting or as challenging as the little activity sheet I created for my math center.

After everyone has an opportunity to complete the worksheet (I let them do it with their center partner--but they each have to do a recording sheet) we then go over it as a class. The challenge for the class is to figure out which item was the heaviest in the basket.  the debate among them was fun.  For some of them, it was the realization that just because an object was the largest in the basket, it didn't mean it was the heaviest.

So they liked it so much, they talked me into making another one.  So when you download it, you get 2 versions.  Click HERE for the Freebie.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great activity! I saw that you were an Idaho teacher! You are so valuable to our community. Thanks for all that you do. I would love to add your blog button to Idahomombloggers.com If you have one please send it to me! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete